Standing Circle Around the Room
“To be, or not to be: that is the question: Whether ’tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles…
And indeed, that IS the question: whether to float with the tide, or to swim for a goal. It is a choice we must all make consciously or unconsciously at one time in our lives. So few people understand this! Think of any decision you’ve ever made which had a bearing on your future: I may be wrong, but I don’t see how it could have been anything but a choice however indirect — between the two things I’ve mentioned: the floating or the swimming.” -Hunter S. Thompson
- Whip 1- Introductions- Introduce yourself to Mr. B and Ms. Stineman
- Whip 2- React to the reading, say a few words that stand out or a 10 word connection.
Number Off – 1-5, like groups together.
Mini-Lesson- Norms and Expectations-
SLTs- I can recognize and understand the expectations for Mr. B and for Room 14o
School Expectations- Behavior Expectations and Ladder of Referral Revised
Mr. B’s Classroom Exceptions-
- Be Cool
- Recognize that this space and floor is different than upstairs and it is all of our jobs to adapt to the environment
- Leave NO TRACE
- Try new things and take chances. I am going to push you with texts that will push your comfort levels, but try them.
- Think about who you are and what you want or need from school/this class.
- Think about who is around you and what they want or need from school/this class.
- Think about how you want like to be treated, how you expect to be treated, how you hate to be treated.
- Think about the environment you need to learn.
In your Groups:
- Use the scrap paper to jot down, or sketch and label the classroom environment that you can learn best in. Keep in mind our school-wide expectations.
- Use the VPA Character Traits and Habits of Scholarship to help you create a list of norms that will help create the environment you discussed. Aim for about 5 norms.
Exit- Groups be sure to put names on the sheet and hand in.