- Choose 1 of the following Prompts.
- Write your Thesis Statement stating your stance on the issue.
- Write a Rebuttal Paragraph/Counter Claim to your thesis. What’s the opposing POV?
- Draft in your notebook. Paste JUST the final Counter Claim, in the comments section below.
Prompt A- Because of the racist remarks he made off the record, Los Angeles Clippers Owner Donal Sterling should be forced to sell his team.
Prompt B- On Tuesday night, Newark NJ elected Ras Baraka as Mayor. Basing your answer on candidates Baraka and Jefferies stances on crime, did Newark make the right choice?
Prompt C- On Monday a tape showing Solange Knowles attacking her brother-in-law, Jay Z, in an elevator as her sister, Beyonce, watched. Because of the tape, the whole world could see what should have been a private family matter. Do you think celebrities of Jay Z and Beyonce’s magnitude should have the right to privacy, especially in these family situations.
Articles for Prompt A-
Articles for Prompt B-
Article for Prompt C-
In your groups, Continue to work on your Animal Farm Template
Work Time- Group time
From the WEEK-
Taking a look at a rebuttal paragraph or counter claim.
Steps to writing a strong rebuttal paragraph:
- Think of an opposing argument to yours.
- Think of the strongest points that can be made against your argument
- Find evidence that can weaken an opposing argument
- Topic Sentence (introduce the counter claim)
- Starters- my opponents might say, some may say, a possible counter to my argument is…
- Give Rebuttal
- Starter- however
- Give Evidence
- Explain how evidence weakens claim
- Closing Sentence
Watch- Rebuttal Video on Youtube
Practice- Write your Counter Claim for the mayoral candidate.
Group Time/Regents Time-
If you Need a Refresher-
CFU- How do you feel about this sort of “cliff notes.” Do they help? Are they funny? Are you learning anything new form them?
- I can develop creative products for the novel Animal Farm using effective techniques, well-chosen details, and well-structured event sequences.
Animal Farm RAFTS
Role- Part of an investigative film team looking to expose the truth about
Audience- Farms outside of Animal Farm
Format- A Piece of Investigative Journalism
Topic- You and your team have heard reports that there’s something corrupt going on at Animal Farm, and you’re looking to expose it.
Strong Verb- Expose
- Your story should be a video/short film
- Your story should include some sort of summary/over view, a problem and how it’s being dealt with, a resolution if there is one.
- Your story should use accurate characters and situations from the novel –Animal Farm
Class Work- Begin to brainstorm your plan for this final assignment.
E-mail Boccheciamp@validusprep.org the members of your group, and a brief summary of what you discussed in class.