Opening Circle- So far, do you think Welcome to the Monkey House which of the following literary elements?
Satire—A work that reveals a critical attitude toward some element of human behavior by portraying it in an extreme way. Satire doesn’t simply abuse (as with invective) or get personal (as with sarcasm). Satire usually targets groups or large concepts rather than individuals; its purpose is customarily to inspire change.
Parody—An exaggerated imitation of a usually more serious work for humorous purposes. The writer of a parody uses the quirks of style of the imitated piece in extreme or ridiculous ways.
Class Reading- MonkStry -“Welcome to The Monkey House” by Kurt Vonnegut – About 15 minutes.
- Save this story to your desktop.
- Once the story is a pdf, click on the edit button at the top of the screen. This will allow you to make comments on the story.
4 Steps of Close Reading
- Copy and paste words you don’t know and define them. (using your class notebook and google)
- Underline/highlight what you think is important and summarize it in the space below.
- Put an arrow → next to something you agree or disagree with and state why in the margin or below.
- Write questions in the margins or below.
Lumosity and Quizlet- About 15 Minutes.